Hello, it’s been awhile but I’ve been on a Netflix, non sewing binge! Anyway, back in the sewing world Me -Made May is currently in full swing, I haven’t taken part because I know I just don’t have enough me made clothes, but this is was the first time I’ve taken a me-made with me on holiday. I can’t wait to have enough clothes I’ve made to wear a me-made daily and I am enjoying following (stalking) the MMMay16 tag.
These pictures are now far from the reality of where I’m currently sitting, although London is being especially lovely this week. These pictures where taken in Marrakesh and now I understand why so many artists where inspired by the city, it’s a vibrant, beautiful place.
This is the Charlotte Kan Tie dress, I’ve sewn this pattern before and I have it on my, ever increasing list, to sew up a winter version with longer sleeves. However, Charlotte updated the pattern from the previous one I bought and I gave it a look over and thought it would be the perfect pattern to stash bust with.
Charlotte revised the patterns instructions and it is far more beginner friendly with less guess work than before and I even attempted the pocket, got to love a good pocket, which I didn’t before because it’s a bit of a complicated one and the previous instructions were too vague for me.
I have no idea what type of fabric I used. It photographs as ridiculously orange, which it absolutely is. From a distance you can just see bright orange approaching. Which is why I chose a different fabric for the ties to try and tone down the colour…but which colour really matches with orange that tones it down!! I’m really on a mission to not buy fabric unless I really need it, so I went through my entire fabric stash and this burnt orange/brownish, sheer fabric was the best of the bunch. It’s not the most groundbreaking of colour combinations but it does make me feel less Tangoed.
I sewed up size small with no problems. Whilst making the bias binding the fabric stretched almost by double and I’m sure the fabric stretched whilst I was making this too. So this version is baggier than my last but I’m not too fussed about that. However, I am now going to always ask what type of fabric I’m buying so I won’t have these surprises.
To further try and break up the colour and make the dress a little more interesting I added a seam at the back. This idea came from the layout plans given on the pattern instructions for people with narrow fabric.
If anyone owns and collects Burdastyle magazine as much as me you know Burda always add a random back seam as a design feature and I felt the Burda spirit in me when I made this little change.
I also took 10 cm off the length of the skirt.
Having not been able to sew for a few month, I’m now happily beside my sewing machine re watching Futurama while I sew. Bliss.